Eat It, Wear It, Swear By It: Vita Coco Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
We are massive coconut oil fans in our house! We use it in pretty much every meal, baking, frying, salad dressing, marinades, topping ice cream or popcorn- you name it we’ve tried it. I’ve recently gotten into having Bulletproof Coffee (that means adding a teaspoon of in my coffee), and on the occasion when Mr BB hasn’t utilised coconut oil in the meal, he will frequently shove a teaspoon of it in my mouth!
I must admit, because I do some work with the brand and because I can buy in bulk I do usually buy Nutiva, but when Vita Coco asked if I could be persuaded to try theirs, I thought why not?! I’m glad we did because it is quite possibly the nicest tasting coconut oil we have ever tried. So much so that it provoked Mr BB to announce it to me!
Eat It, Wear It, Swear By It? Yes, Vita Coco Virgin Organic Coconut Oil is a definite winner on the eating it front.
When it comes to wearing it, I think as long as it’s organic and virgin (i.e. as raw and as unprocessed as possible) the results are pretty much the same with different brands. I love coconut oil for its superior multi-tasking properties! I use it in the bathroom almost as much as the kitchen!
Here are my top Eat It, Wear It, Swear By It uses for Vita Coco Virgin Coconut Oil (or any brand for that matter!) –
- Scalp Treatment. a great nourishing treatment for the scalp, it can also be used to treat psoriasis and other scalp conditions such as dandruff. Not only does the coconut oil nourish the scalp, it also helps promote healthy hair growth. Be sure to wash hair thoroughly with a non-moisturising (so balancing or volumising) shampoo to ensure all coconut oil is removed and no buildup remains.
- Hair Mask.Coconut oil makes a really effective hair mask used on its own, or if you want to get a bit more adventurous, try blending with argan, jojoba and/or olive oil. Apply to clean hair, wrap in a towel or don a shower cap on and leave for at least half an hour, or alternatively plait hair or place in a top bun and leave overnight. Again, be sure to wash hair thoroughly with a non-moisturising shampoo.
- Oil Pulling. There was a time when I was religiously oil pulling every day, but since I went on holiday I’ve not gotten back into the routine *must start again*. Simply take a large teaspoon of coconut oil and move around your mouth for 20 minutes, before spitting in the sink and rinsing out your mouth thoroughly.
- Oil Cleansing. Massage coconut oil in small and light circular movements on the face, neck and decollete, and then take a fluffy face towel or organic muslin cloth and run this under the hot tap till it’s steaming hot. Open the cloth over your face and gently dab. Then repeat this with hot water once and then tepid water for a third time to close the pores. If you are a city dweller then repeat the whole process again if it’s nighttime, double cleansing to ensure all the grime and dirt is off your skin!
- Eye Makeup Removal. Gently rub in small and light circular motions around the eye area, then remove with cotton wool pads or tissue. Just be careful not to get in your eyes – apparently, it really stings!
- Anti-Ageing.Coconut oil is rich in vitamin E, one of the most important skin antioxidants. Target fine lines and wrinkles with this fabulous oil.
- Lip Balm. Take a smidgen of coconut oil and apply over the lips for instant softness and a coconut kiss!
- Nail and Cuticle Treatment. Massage coconut oil into nails and cuticles thoroughly to help soften the surrounding skin and cuticles, and strengthen nails to prevent brittleness and breakage.
- All-Over Moisturiser. Coconut oil can be used both on your face and body to provide deep moisturisation, along with a delicate scent and a sexy sheen.
- Scrub-a-Dub. Add some ground oats or sugar to coconut oil along with some essential oils of choice. Massage all over body in circular motions and then rinse thoroughly.
- SPF. Coconut oil has a natural SPF of around 6-8. Whilst some may say this is not sufficient coverage, I swear by using coconut oil on holiday. My skin stays covered, browns gradually and the end result is a long-lasting tan.
- Aftersun. The fats and vitamin E contained in coconut oil make it a superb product to apply after you’ve been out in the sun.
- Hair Protector. When on holiday, I apply coconut oil to my hair every morning to help protect from the sun’s rays and sea or pool water.
- Intensive Overnight Hand & Fruit Treatment. I’ve really gotten into using foot booties and hand gloves as part of my beauty regimen. Coconut oil is a great partner to use with these.
Have I missed any uses for coconut oil that you swear by? Eat It, Wear It, Swear By It: I’d love to know so why not leave a comment below?!