We got a waffle iron for Christmas, and so have been rather regularly indulging ourselves in waffles for a weekend treat. Making your own doughy/batter-y breakfast is so much healthier than buying shop-bought waffles, muffins and pastries because 1) you know the quality of the ingredients you are putting in your product (organic eggs for instance over battery hen) 2) there are no artificial preservatives or colourings and 3) there is not a spot of high fructose corn syrup in sight!
They are oh-so-simple to make and the batter will last a few days in the fridge, so we tend to make on Saturday morning and have on Sunday too. It’s the perfect thing for me to eat post yoga, not too heavy not too light, and after all that stretching, pulling and bending I deserve it!
Ingredients for the Best Waffles Ever!
Now as you know, where possible I do try and make things a little healthier wherever possible as long as I know the final result is not going to be compromised! I did recently try spelt flour shortbread which turned out into a rather interesting biscuit, which would have been delicious were they cooked evenly all the way through…. The main problem with the end product here was not the flour used but our crappy little gas top oven! Alas, our main oven is broken…. I will retry once we have either a new gas or preferably an electric oven but till that time no more baking for me. So for my waffle recipe, I’ve used spelt flour (although I’m keen to try coconut and almond out too) and I’ve replaced the need for sugar with maple syrup.
- 1 1/3 cups organic spelt flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
To serve – butter and maple syrup, or your favourite topping!
Method for the Best Waffles Ever!
- Place the spelt flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Separate the eggs and place the whites in a different bowl, put the yolks in with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites till thickened and they form peaks when the whisks are taken out.
- Add the melted butter, milk and maple syrup to the dry ingredients and egg yolks and mix well.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture gently.
- Place mixture in the waffle iron and wait for your yummy delicious waffles to be ready.
- Top with butter, maple syrup, berries, cream – whatever takes your fancy.
- Eat your yummy delicious waffles, savouring every mouthful!